[Python-Dev] str with base

Steven Bethard steven.bethard at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 17:55:49 CET 2006

[Raymond]
> Perhaps introduce a single function, base(val, radix=10,
> prefix=''), as a universal base converter that could replace
> bin(), hex(), oct(), etc.

+1 on introducing base()

[Skip]
> Would it (should it) work with floats, decimals, complexes?  I presume it
> would work with ints and longs.

While support for floats, decimals, etc. might be nice (and I
certainly wouldn't complain if someone wanted to supply the patch) I
don't think those features should be necessary for base()'s initial
introduction.  If they're there, great, but if not, I don't think that
should hold up the patch...

STeVe
--
You can wordify anything if you just verb it.
        --- Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy