[Python-Dev] str with base

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Jan 18 16:23:56 CET 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On 1/17/06, Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> wrote:
>>
>> The difference between hex() and oct() and the proposed binary() is
>
> I'd propose bin() to stay in line with the short abbreviated names.

There has been some previous discussion about removing hex()/oct() from
builtins for Python 3.0, IIRC.  I sure don't think bin() belongs there.

> The binary type should have a 0b prefix.

-0 on adding a new prefix; +1 on this syntax if we do.

"19. A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming,
is not worth knowing."  --Alan Perlis