[Python-Dev] str with base

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at verizon.net
Tue Jan 17 05:13:27 CET 2006

> I wish you had an argument better than "every bright beginner assumes
> it exists". :-)
>
> But (unlike for some other things that bright beginners might assume)
> I don't think there's a deep reason why this couldn't exist.
>
> The only reasons I can come up with is "because input and output are
> notoriously asymmetric in Python" and "because nobody submitted a
> patch". :-)

My reason is that I've rolled-my-own more times than I can count but
infrequently enough to where it was easier to re-write than to search
for the previous use.

Another quick thought:  I presume that only the str() builtin would
change and that the underlying __str__ slot would continue to be
hard-wired to the (reprfunc) signature.

Raymond