[Python-Dev] TAR problems under Solaris

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Jan 13 14:16:01 CET 2006

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 22:01 +0100, Reinhold Birkenfeld wrote:
>
>>Recently, someone on dclpy posted about an error he got
>>when he tried to unpack the Python distribution tarball
>>with Sparc Solaris 9's tar:
>>
>>tar: directory checksum error
>>
>>With GNU tar, it worked correctly.
>>
>>Is this a known issue, or is it irrelevant?
>

> Dunno, but I'm always having problems w/ Solaris tar, so I just use GNU
> tar on Solaris. ;)

Yes. Back in the 1980's Sun's consulting group made good money selling
an "extended" version of tar (that coped with longer paths than the
standard version) to customers who could afford it. Guess they never fed
the changes back into the trunk ...

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119