[Python-Dev] New PEP: Using ssize_t as the index type

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Jan 12 23:44:27 CET 2006

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>>Sure. However, most users will compile it on 32-bit
>>systems. If they find they cannot get it to work on
>>a 64-bit system, they should ask the author for help,
>>or just use it in 32-bit mode (as 64-bit mode won't
>>gain them anything, anyway).
>

> I wonder how you are going to import a 32-bit
> extension into a 64-bit binary of Python.
> It simply doesn't work.

No. They will need to run the 32-bit binary of Python
on the 64-bit system.

> I wouldn't say that PyString_AsStringAndSize() is rarely
> used and neither is PyArg_ParseTuple().

I can't find much usage of PyString_AsStringAndSize.
Even in the Python core, it is only called 8 times
outside string and strop.

> I agree that other APIs are certainly more domain
> specific and can be dealt with in the extension, but
> those two APIs need special care and so do the type
> slot functions.

For PyArg_ParseTuple, there is special care, because
there won't be compiler warnings otherwise.

For PyString_AsStringAndSize, the compiler will
warn about incorrect pointer types.

Regards,
Martin