[Python-Dev] ConfigParser to save with order

Tony Meyer t-meyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Jan 12 22:57:03 CET 2006

> I see two paths here:
>
> - Rewrite ConfigParser entirely.
> - Apply my patch.

Allowing 'surgical' editing of configuration files, as has been
proposed many times both here and c.l.p would not require
ConfigParser to be entirely rewritten (just more extensive
modification of the write() method).

> Someone needs to make a PEP. Michael Chermside, in the
> first mail of the first link that you sent, was working in a solution,
> but don't know what is done.

I believe that this always trails off without anything being achieved.

IMO what would be best would be a pronouncement (or something of
similar weight) about the direction that should be taken wrt to
configuration file parsing support in the stdlib.

   * The status quo.
   * The status quo, but output files in a fixed order (but unrelated
to the read order); i.e. http://python.org/sf/1399309
   * 'Surgical' editing of files; i.e. preserve comments, whitespace,
and ordering, appending new options/sections as needed.
   * A more complex configuration system (perhaps like others that
exist in the wild).

I'm happy to either submit or help with a patch for the third option
(and maybe the fourth) if need be.

I haven't personally found the lack of a more complex system in the
stdlib a problem (although I suppose that the various more complex
systems I have worked with could have been simplified if there was
one).  I do believe that failing to preserve comments and ordering is
a problem.

=Tony.Meyer