[Python-Dev] r42015 - peps/trunk

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Jan 12 17:15:26 CET 2006

David Goodger wrote:
> On 1/12/06, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> Hmm, shouldn't these things be tracked under external/ ?!
>
> What do you mean exactly? A new "external" directory?

Yes.

> SVN provides a built-in mechanism for tracking external
> repositories, via the "svn:externals" property, and that's
> what I used.

I know, but I wouldn't expect SVN to query other servers
than svn.python.org inside the standard repository
directories.

AFAIK, this is a first in the Python repository. Not
sure if it's such a good idea. Branching and tagging
doesn't work with external resources in Subversion,
so things can become inconsistent.

Also, what if you break the code in the berlios repo
or the server is not reachable ? A release copy in the
external/ dir would solve all these issues.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 12 2006)