[Python-Dev] Draft proposal: Implicit self in Python 3.0

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Jan 9 02:41:02 CET 2006

Samuele Pedroni wrote:
> Ian Bicking wrote:
>
>>I just don't want people to feel discouraged when they try to contribute
>>to the Python community and a PEP 13 could help direct people towards
>>areas where their contributions are more likely to be useful.
>

> but people have a lot of options, probably more effective, ranging
> from writing great applications in Python, great libraries ... plus
> implementation work before they are left with the hard option that is
> language design to contribute to the community.

I completely agree.

>>Also I
>>think it is unfair to use python-list to clarify things that python-dev
>>is not willing to clarify itself.
>>

> notice that the intersection is not empty yet.
>
> Also PEP 1 contains
>
> """
> PEP authors are responsible for collecting community feedback on a PEP
> before submitting it for review. A PEP that has not been discussed on
> python-list at python.org and/or python-dev at python.org will not be
> accepted. However, wherever possible, long open-ended discussions on
> public mailing lists should be avoided. Strategies to keep the
> discussions efficient include: setting up a separate SIG mailing list
> for the topic, having the PEP author accept private comments in the
> early design phases, setting up a wiki page, etc. PEP authors should use
> their discretion here.
> """
>
> in the past it often happened that water testing, honing
> for a PEP happend on python-list before any long discussion went on
> on python-dev. Basically I think that throwing half-cooked ideas at
> python-dev, especially for people with no track-record of language
> design contributions to Python, is just a recipe for frustration.

Sure; lots of PEPs can go to python-list, and it's fine if people ask
that a PEP that goes to python-dev be discussed on python-list.  But
only PEPs that have some chance of being accepted.  In fact, these
things come up on python-list far more often than python-dev, so a PEP
13 could also help clean those conversations out of that list too.  Or
at least if people want to discuss those things, they'll be aware that
the discussion is only academic.

--
Ian Bicking  |  ianb at colorstudy.com  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org