[Python-Dev] Draft proposal: Implicit self in Python 3.0

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Mon Jan 9 01:51:23 CET 2006

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 12:31:46AM +0100, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> Ian Bicking wrote:
> > I just don't want people to feel discouraged when they try to contribute
> > to the Python community and a PEP 13 could help direct people towards
> > areas where their contributions are more likely to be useful.  Also I
> > think it is unfair to use python-list to clarify things that python-dev
> > is not willing to clarify itself.

> But now: who is going to write it? "Guido should write it" clearly won't
> work. And no, I'm explicitly not volunteering either.

Well, the PEP will be mostly boilerplate anyway (unless there's a sudden
influx of old ideas) so I'm sure I can whip something up before next
weekend. I'll probably keep the actual list of rejected items to implicit
self (which started the whole discussion), upgrading the Python parser
beyond a simple LL(1), and maybe implicit ()'s for functioncalls, if I feel
inspired. The exact wording, and additional rejects, can be discussed at
length by those interested.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>