[Python-Dev] buildbot

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Jan 3 17:27:43 CET 2006

    Bob> The easy fix is to upgrade your OS.  I don't think anyone is going
    Bob> to bother with the preprocessor hackery necessary to make that
    Bob> (harmless) warning go away on older versions of the OS.

    skip> Excuse me, but this really pisses me off.

Oh, c'mon, Skip.  I'm a Panther hold-out, too, but this is just a
(soi-disant harmless) warning.  Have you tried to build anything from
DarwinPorts recently?  I have at least 20 modified PortFiles plus at
least two patched source files because they can't be bothered to make
sure things _build_ on Panther, let alone eliminate warnings.

Sure, Python can be expected to do much better than random port
maintainers, but....  Discussions with the port maintainers makes it
hard to blame them.  They say the development environment has changed
enormously---you really need multiple systems because of significant
changes in the standard headers, it's nowhere near enough to just keep
a couple or six versions of GCC around.  And you need multiple dev
environments, because Xcode 1.5 doesn't cut it on Tiger, and Xcode 2.x
doesn't work at all on Panther.

Yes, it would be nice to make the warnings go away, but in view of all
that, is it something to get one's shorts in a knot about?