[Python-Dev] Switch to MS VC++ 2005 ?!

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Feb 27 21:03:06 CET 2006

Alex Martelli wrote:
> On 2/27/06, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> Microsoft has recently released their express version of the Visual C++.
>> Given that this version is free for everyone, wouldn't it make sense
>> to ship Python 2.5 compiled with this version ?!
>>
>>     http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/default.aspx
>>
>> I suppose this would make compiling extensions easier for people
>> who don't have a standard VC++ .NET installed.
>
> It would sure be nice for people like me with "occasional dabbler in
> Windows" status, so, selfishly, I'd be all in favor.  However...:
>
> What I hear from the rumor mill (not perhaps a reliable source) is a
> bit discouraging about the stability of VS2005 (e.g. internal
> rebellion at MS in which groups which need to ship a lot of code
> pushed back against any attempt to make them use VS2005, and managed
> to win the internal fight and stick with VS2003), but I don't know if
> any such worry applies to something as simple as the mere compilation
> of C code...

Should I read this as: VC8 is unstable ?

Perhaps that's the reason they decided to give it away for
free for the first year.

>> Note: This is just a thought - I haven't looked into the consequences
>> of building with VC8 yet, e.g. from the list of pre-requisites,
>> it's possible that .NET 2.0 would become a requirement.
>
> You mean, to RUN vc8-compiled Python?!  That would be perhaps the
> first C compiler ever unable to produce "native", stand-alone code,
> wouldn't it?

Well, the code that VC7 generates relies on MSVCR71.DLL
which appears to be part of .NET 1.1. It's hard to tell
since I don't have a system around without .NET on it.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 27 2006)