[Python-Dev] Using and binding relative names (was Re: PEP forBetter Control of Nested Lexical Scopes)

Alex Martelli aleaxit at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 03:54:19 CET 2006

On Feb 26, 2006, at 5:43 PM, Ron Adam wrote:
> So far everywhere I've seen closures used, a class would work.  But
> maybe not as conveniently or as fast?

Yep.  In this, closures are like generators: much more convenient
than purpose-built classes, but not as general.

> Haskel sounds interesting, maybe I'll try a bit of it sometime.  But I
> like Python. ;-)

So do I, so do many others: the first EuroHaskell was held the day
right after a EuroPython, in the same venue (a Swedish University,
Chalmers) -- that was convenient because so many delegates were
interested in both languages, see.

We stole list comprehensions and genexps from Haskell (the idea and
most of the semantics, not the syntax, which was Pythonized
relentlessly) -- and the two languages share the concept of
indentation being significant for grouping, with some minor
differences in details since they developed these concepts
independently. Hey, what more do you need?-)

Alex