[Python-Dev] defaultdict proposal round three

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Feb 23 10:59:29 CET 2006

Greg Ewing wrote:
> Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>

>> fwiw, the first google hit for "autodict" appears to be part of someone's
>> link farm
>>
>>     At this website we have assistance with autodict. In addition to
>>     information for autodict we also have the best web sites concerning
>>     dictionary, non profit and new york.
>>

> Hmmm, looks like some sort of bot that takes the words in
> your search and stuffs them into its response. I wonder
> if they realise how silly the results end up sounding?
>
> I've seen these sorts of things before, but I haven't
> quite figured out yet how they manage to get into Google's
> database if they're auto-generated. Anyone have any clues
> what goes on?

I guess the question is, how would google know *not*  to index them ? As
soon as they are linked to (or more likely they re-use an expired domain
name that is already in the google database) they will be indexed. They
may be obviously autogenerated to a human, but it's a lot harder for a
computer to tell.

It seems that google indexes sites of dubious value - but gives them a
low pagerank. This means they do appear in results, but only if there is
nothing more relevant available.

All the best,

Michael Foord