[Python-Dev] defaultdict proposal round three

Crutcher Dunnavant crutcher at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 21:34:44 CET 2006

Sorry to chime in so late, but why are we setting a value when the key
isn't defined?

It seems there are many situations where you want:
  a) default values, and
  b) the ability to determine if a value was defined.

There are many times that I want d[key] to give me a value even when
it isn't defined, but that doesn't always mean I want to _save_ that
value in the dict. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. We should have
some means of describing this in any defaultdict implementation

Crutcher Dunnavant <crutcher at gmail.com>
littlelanguages.com
monket.samedi-studios.com