[Python-Dev] bytes.from_hex()

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Sat Feb 18 13:01:34 CET 2006

This posting is entirely tangential.  Be warned.

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:

> It's worse than that. The return *type* depends on the *value* of
> the argument. I think there is little precedence for that:

There's one extremely significant example where the *value* of
something impacts on the type of something else: functions.  The types
of everything involved in str([1]) and len([1]) are the same but the
results are different.  This shows up in PyPy's type annotation; most
of the time we just track types indeed, but when something is called
we need to have a pretty good idea of the potential values, too.

Relavent to the point at hand?  No.  Apologies for wasting your time
:)

Cheers,
mwh

--
  The ultimate laziness is not using Perl.  That saves you so much
  work you wouldn't believe it if you had never tried it.