[Python-Dev] str object going in Py3K

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Feb 17 13:53:39 CET 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On 2/16/06, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> What will be the explicit way to open a file in bytes mode
>> and in text mode (I for one would like to move away from
>> open() completely as well) ?
>>
>> Will we have a single file type with two different modes
>> or two different types ?
>
> I'm currently thinking of an I/O stack somewhat like Java's. At the
> bottom there's a class that lets you do raw unbuffered reads and
> writes (and seek/tell) on binary files using bytes arrays. We can
> layer onto this buffering, text encoding/decoding, and more. (Windows
> CRLF<->LF conversion is also an encoding of sorts).

Sounds like the stackable StreamWriters and -Readers would
nicely integrate into this design.

> Years ago I wrote a prototype; checkout sandbox/sio/.

Thanks. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to having
a look - unlike many of the pydev folks, I don't work for
Google and can't spend 20% or 50% of my time on
Python core development :-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 17 2006)