[Python-Dev] Proposal: defaultdict

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Fri Feb 17 10:42:40 CET 2006

> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
>>   d = DefaultDict([])
>>
>> can be written as simply
>>
>>   d[key].append(value)
>
>> Feedback?

Ok, setdefault is a horrible name.  Would it make sense to come up with a better name?

Georg Brandl wrote:

> Probably a good idea, has been proposed multiple times on clpy.
> One good thing would be to be able to specify either a default value
> or a factory function.
>
> While at it, other interesting dict subclasses could be:
> * sorteddict, practically reinvented by every larger project

You mean ordereddict, not sorteddict, I hope.

> * keytransformdict, such as d = keytransformdict(str.lower).

Not sure what you mean by that.

What *I* would like is probably more ambitious:  I want a dict that allows case-insensitive
lookup of string keys, plus ideally I want to use it as class or instance dictionary.
Use case: COM wrappers.

Thomas