[Python-Dev] http://www.python.org/dev/doc/devel still available

Tim Parkin tim at pollenation.net
Wed Feb 15 21:08:32 CET 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On 2/15/06, Tim Parkin <tim at pollenation.net> wrote:
>
>>Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>
>>>I have this worry too in the
>>>context of the python.org redesign; 301 permanent redirect is *not*
>>>going to help PageRank of the new page.)
>>Could you expand on why 301 redirects won't help with the transfer of
>>page rank (if you're allowed)? We've done exactly this on many sites and
>>the pagerank (or more relevantly the search rankings on specific terms)
>>has transferred almost overnight. The bigger pagerank updates (both
>>algorithm changes and overhauls in approach) seem to only happen every
>>few months and these also seem to take notice of 301 redirects (they
>>generally clear up any supplemental results).
>
> OK, perhaps I stand corrected. I don't actually know that much about PageRank!

No problem, I don't think that many people do and the general consensus
seems to be that, although the calculations behind pagerank may be one
of the core parts of the google algorithm, there are so many additional
algorithms* that affect searches on a case by case and day by day basis
that the value from is almost meaningless (apart from possibly 0-2 may
be a problem 3-5 is normal, 6-9 is generally good and 10 I've not seen)

* (for instance, patents on working out the value of inbound links based
on there age, how many other inbound links appeared around the same
time, the status of the originating site as an 'authority' site, the
text contained in the inbound link and title attributes, etc and the
general relation between the inbound links and the 'theme' of the target
site ['theme' == the distribution of important keywords across the site])

> I still don't like docs.python.org, and adding more like it seems a
> mistake; but it's possible that this is because of a poor execution of
> the idea (there's no "search docs" button near the search button on
> the old python.org).
I'll try and make a more functional/usable google search page on the new
site.

Tim Parkin

p.s. I hope you didn't think I was digging for 'insider info'..