[Python-Dev] bdist_* to stdlib?

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Tue Feb 14 22:46:08 CET 2006

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 11:16:32AM -0800, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Well, just like Java, if you have pure Python code, why should a
> developer have to duplicate the busy-work of creating distributions
> for different platforms? (Especially since there are so many different
> target platforms -- RPM, .deb, Windows, MSI, Mac, fink, and what have
> you -- I'm no expert but ISTM there are too many!)

Actually, that's where distutils and bdist_* comes in. Mr. Random Developer
writes a regular distutils setup.py, and I can install the latest,
not-quite-in-apt version by doing 'setup.py bdist_deb' and installing the
resulting .deb. Very convenient for both parties ;)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>