[Python-Dev] Let's just *keep* lambda

Thomas Lotze thomas at thomas-lotze.de
Tue Feb 7 09:52:02 CET 2006

Jiwon Seo wrote:

> After lambda being made more useful, can I hope that I will be able to use
> lambda with multiple statements? :) Lambdas in Lisp and Python are
> different, but in the usability perspective they don't need to differ too
> much.

I don't think it helps usability much if anonymous functions are allowed
multiple statements. IMO greater amounts of code deserve a named function
for readability's sake, and the distinction between expressions and suites
feels like a good criterion for what is a greater amount of code. In any
case, it's the same limit as found in list and generator expressions or
the proposed conditional expression.

--
Thomas