[Python-Dev] Octal literals

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Mon Feb 6 15:27:12 CET 2006

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 09:05:01 +0100, Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net> wrote:

>On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 05:33:57AM +0000, Bengt Richter wrote:
>
>> Perhaps I missed a py3k assumption in this thread (where I see in the PEP
>> that "Remove distinction between int and long types" is core item number
>> one)?
>
>http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0237.html -- an ungoing process, not a
>Py3K-eventual one.

Thanks, I noticed. Hence my question following what you quote:
"""
 Is PEP 237 phase C to be implemented sooner than py3k,
making isinstance(<something>, int) a transparently distinction-hiding alias for
isinstance(<something>, integer), or outright illegal? IOW, will isinstance(<something>, int)
be _guaranteed_ to be a bug, thus requiring code change? If so, when?
"""
Sorry that my paragraph-packing habit tends to bury things. I'll have to work on that ;-/

Regards,
Bengt Richter