[Python-Dev] Possible platforms to drop in 2.6

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sat Dec 30 04:37:01 CET 2006

On 12/29/06, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Brett Cannon schrieb:
> > I originally posted this list to python-3000 since I figured we could
> > be more aggressive with Py3K, but Guido said I should move it over
> > here and just be aggressive in 2.6.
>
> Please follow PEP 11 in doing so. This means you cannot remove the code
> in Python 2.6, only break the build with an error message. Actual
> removal would be deferred to 2.7.

I wasn't planning on skipping the procedures in PEP 11.  I just wanted to
get the list of possible platforms to eliminate out there for people to
comment on.

> So, here are the platforms I figured we should drop:
> >
> > * AtheOS
> > * BeOS
>
> In both cases, the last maintainer should be contacted before the
> platform is unsupported.

I guess I can go off the emails listed in README and Misc/BeOS-NOTES,
although I would hope that any maintainer would watch python-dev in some
fashion.  Is there an official list of maintainers?  If not perhaps there
should be a PEP listing who maintains what platforms.

> I had SunoS 5 but Ronald Oussoren said that is actually Solaris
> > through version 9, so I took that off.
>
> It's actually *all* Solaris versions (up to 11).
> Dropping support for 5.6 (Solaris 2.6) and earlier may be
> an option; we have some special-cased code for 5.6.

OK.  I don't have a Solaris box so someone else might need to help with
that.

> Several people have questioned AtheOS, but considering the site for
> > the OS has not been updated since 2002 and it was a niche OS to begin
> > with I doubt we really need the support.
>
> IMO, that should really depend on active maintenance. Somebody should
> confirm that Python 2.5 still compiles out of the box on that system,
> and, if not, volunteer to fix it. If nobody does, we can remove the
> code in 2.7.

Yep.  Guess that goes along with contacting the maintainers.

> And I listed FreeBSD 2 as a drop since FreeBSD 3 seemed to have been
> > released in 1999.  But if most users have upgraded by now (release 6
> > is the most current) then we could consider dropping 3 as well.
>
> This really should use the PEP 11 procedure: let configure fail
> (early) on the system, and then remove support if nobody complains
> (in 2.7 and 3k).

Sounds reasonable.  Hopefully it would catch people early in the alpha stage
to deal with this.

-Brett