[Python-Dev] Possible platforms to drop in 2.6

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Dec 22 21:06:59 CET 2006

I originally posted this list to python-3000 since I figured we could
be more aggressive with Py3K, but Guido said I should move it over
here and just be aggressive in 2.6.

So, here are the platforms I figured we should drop:

* AtheOS
* BeOS
* FreeBSD 2 (maybe more?)
* IRIX
* NeXT
* OS/2
* UnixWare

I had SunoS 5 but Ronald Oussoren said that is actually Solaris
through version 9, so I took that off.

Several people have questioned AtheOS, but considering the site for
the OS has not been updated since 2002 and it was a niche OS to begin
with I doubt we really need the support.

There is a fork of AtheOS called Syllable (http://www.syllable.org/)
that is still being developed, but someone from that group should
probably step forward and offer to help maintain the code if we are to
keep it.

Same goes with BeOS and Zeta (http://www.zeta-os.com/cms/news.php;
there is a drop-down in the right-hand nav column to change the
language to English for us non-German speakers).

And I listed FreeBSD 2 as a drop since FreeBSD 3 seemed to have been
released in 1999.  But if most users have upgraded by now (release 6
is the most current) then we could consider dropping 3 as well.

-Brett