[Python-Dev] LSB: Selection of a Python version

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Dec 5 19:32:04 CET 2006

Anthony Baxter schrieb:
>> So I think a public statement that we will support 2.4 with
>> security patches for a while longer (and perhaps with security
>> patches *only*) would be a good thing - independent of the LSB,
>> actually.
>
> Well, I don't know what sort of public statement you want to issue,
> but will this do? (Wearing my release manager hat)

This would be a good statement, but I have also a set of policies
in mind that clarify what a "security bugfix" is, so people know
what kind of changes they get when they install a new version that
only has security bugfixes.

I believe this guarantee works in two ways: we should guarantee
that we will accept security bugfixes, but we should also guarantee
that we *only* accept security bugfixes (and perhaps critical
crashers - although they overlap in the denial-of-service field).

Regards,
Martin