[Python-Dev] a feature i'd like to see in python #2: indexing of match objects

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Dec 3 16:53:35 CET 2006

Fredrik Lundh schrieb:
> the most important issue is that if you want an object to behave as a
> sequence of something, you need to decide what that something is before
> you start tinkering with the syntax.
>
> under Ben's simple proposal, m[:][1] and m[1] would be two different
> things.  I'm not sure that's a good idea, really.

Ah, right; I misread his proposal as saying that m[:] should return
[m[0]] + list(m.groups()) (rather, I expected that m.groups() would
include m.group(0)).

To answer your first question: it is clearly groups that you want
to index, just as the .group() method indexes groups.

The typical equivalences should hold, of course, e.g.
m[1:5][1] == m[2] etc.

Regards,
Martin