[Python-Dev] 2.4 & 2.5 beta 3 crash

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Wed Aug 16 19:11:28 CEST 2006

Dino Viehland <dinov at exchange.microsoft.com> wrote:

> We've been working on fixing some exception handling bugs in
> IronPython where we differ from CPython.  Along the way we ran into
> this issue which causes CPython to crash when the code below is run.
> It crashes on both 2.4 and 2.5 beta 3.  The code's technically illegal,
> but it probably shouldn't crash either :)

> def test():
>     for abc in range(10):
>         try: pass
>         finally:
>             try:
>                 continue
>             except:
>                 pass
>

> test()

It also reliably crashes 2.3, though I don't see anything in there as
being illegal, but maybe I don't understand the langauge as well as I
think I do.

Note that there is another segfaulting bug in CPython with regards to
threads that was recently closed, but which is still a problem:
http://python.org/sf/780714

Does IronPython survive in that case?

 - Josiah