[Python-Dev] no remaining issues blocking 2.5 release

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Wed Aug 16 03:45:41 CEST 2006

I really don't care any more about this. My initial concern (and why I
requested the change) was that there are no more official separate distutils
releases. I don't see how keeping a bunch of version numbers in the stdlib
that just track the main version number is a sane use of developer time -
particularly when it's only being used for someone's private releases. If
you're cutting releases out of the stdlib, it seems to me that the
maintenance load should be on you (where 'you' is 'anyone doing something
like this', not MAL specifically <wink>)

I'd also like to see idle's separate version number go away and have it start
using the Python version number - maybe as of 2.6? This would then also mean
we could pull idle's separate NEWS file into the master NEWS file. Right now,
the "release notes" on the webpage miss all IDLE release notes, since it's
just the main NEWS file.

Since it's provoked so many complaints, change it back if you want. I won't be
bothering to check that it's correct from now on, nor will I be updating it.
Any user complaints will be ignored, and an incorrect version number will not
be considered a reason for a bugfix release.

Anthony