[Python-Dev] openSSL and windows binaries - license

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Aug 11 19:47:44 CEST 2006

Greg Ewing schrieb:
> That can't be right, because it would mean that
> anyone who runs a program that contains a
> patented algorithm, even one bought or otherwise
> obtained from someone else, would need to
> individually negotiate a licence with the
> patent owner. That clearly doesn't happen.

No, that isn't necessary. If you buy a patented screwdriver,
and the maker of the screwdriver isn't the patent owner
but has an appropriate license, you don't need to negotiate
with the patent owner to use the screwdriver.

Same with software patents: whoever sold you the software
should have negotiated a transferable license that allows
use of the algorithm in this software; transfer of the
license would likely be bound to usage within this product.

So this doesn't get completely OT: The IDEA algorithm is
licensed free of charge for non-commercial use (I believe
to anybody, ask the patent owner if uncertain); commercial
users need to buy a license (I would expect that transferable
licenses are also available for sale).

Regards,
Martin