[Python-Dev] Dict suppressing exceptions

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Aug 10 23:31:37 CEST 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On 8/10/06, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>> Hmm... Here's an idea... How about we change unicode-vs-str __eq__ to
>>> issue a warning (and return False) instead of raising
>>> UnicodeException? That won't break much code (it's unlikely that
>>> people *depend* on this exception since it's generally a symptom of
>>> insane mixing of str and unicode). Then no further changes to
>>> dictobject.c are necessary (except fixing that one misleading
>>> comment).
>> Good idea.
>
> Great! Now we need someone to volunteer to write a patch (which should
> include doc and NEWS updates) in time for beta 3 (Aug 18).

I'll give it a go.

Not sure what kinds of docs we'll need for this,
though (and more importantly: where to put them, e.g. into the tutorial
in the dictionary section, somewhere into the Unicode section ?)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 10 2006)