[Python-Dev] Dropping __init__.py requirement for subpackages

Gustavo Carneiro gjcarneiro at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 18:20:31 CEST 2006

On 4/27/06, Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org> wrote:

> On 4/27/06, Gustavo Carneiro <gjcarneiro at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  Besides, Guido's original proposal is not a fix for your problem,
> > > either; he only proposes to change the requirement for *sub*packages.
> > >

> >   It *is* a solution for my problem.  I don't need the __init__.py file
> > for anything, since I don't need anything defined in the the 'foo'
> > namespace, only the subpackages foo.bar and foo.zbr .
> >

> ... No. Guido's original proposal is not a fix for your problem, because
> *it doesn't affect the 'foo' namespace*. Guido's original proposal still
> requires foo/__init__.py for your namespace to work, it just makes
> foo/bar/__init__.py and foo/zbr/__init__.py optional.

  Damn, you're right, I confused subpackage with submodule :P

  In that case, can I counter-propose to stop requiring the __init__.py file
in [foo/__init__.py, foo/bar.py] ? ;-)

  The proposal would mean that a directory 'foo' with a single file
bar.pywould make the module '
foo.bar' available if the parent directory of 'foo' is in sys.path.

/me faces the pitchforks.