[Python-Dev] Dropping __init__.py requirement for subpackages

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Apr 27 11:30:49 CEST 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> So I have a very simple proposal: keep the __init__.py requirement for
> top-level pacakages, but drop it for subpackages. This should be a
> small change. I'm hesitant to propose *anything* new for Python 2.5,
> so I'm proposing it for 2.6; if Neal and Anthony think this would be
> okay to add to 2.5, they can do so.

I'm going to skip the discussion thread (or is it a flame war? cannot tell from
the thread pattern), but here are my votes:

+0 on dropping the requirement for subpackages in 2.X (this will break tools,
but probably not break much code, and fixing the tools should be straightforward)
    (+1 on dropping it in 3.X)
-1 on dropping the requirement for packages in 2.X
    (-0 on dropping it in 3.X)
+0 on making this change in 2.5

</F>