[Python-Dev] Dropping __init__.py requirement for subpackages

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Thu Apr 27 04:18:41 CEST 2006

On Thursday 27 April 2006 05:50, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> Anyway, I'm not opposed to the idea of supporting this in future
> Pythons, but I definitely think it falls under the "but sometimes
> never is better than RIGHT now" rule where 2.5 is concerned.  :)

I agree fully. I don't think we should try and shove this into Python
2.5 on short notice, but I could be convinced otherwise. Right now,
though, I'm a strong -1 for now for this in 2.5.

If it's to go forward, I think it _definitely_ needs a PEP outlining
the potential breakages (and I'm not sure we're aware of them all
yet).

> In particular, I'm worried that you're shrugging off the extent of
> the collateral damage here, and I'd be happiest if we waited until
> 3.0 before changing this particular rule -- and if we changed it in
> favor of namespace packages, which will more closely match naive
> user expectations.

The breakage of tools and the like is my concern, too. Python's import
machinery is already a delicate mess of subtle rules.