[Python-Dev] Must objects with __enter__/__exit__ also supply __context__?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 11:53:38 CEST 2006

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I'm not convinced.

Phillip managed to capture most of my reasons for documenting it that way.
However, trying to find a better term than the "with statement context" phrase
used in the latest docs is causing me to have doubts.

The term I'm currently favouring is "managed context" because of the obvious
relationship with "context manager". But with the current documentation, it's
potentially unclear which object is doing the managing, as all managed
contexts are required to serve as context managers as well. So the term ends
up potentially a little confusing (is the manager of a managed context the
original context manager, or the managed context itself?). I'd have to
actually try it out to see if the terminology could be kept clear.

OTOH, if the two protocols are made orthogonal, then it's clear that the
manager is always the original object with the __context__ method. Then the
three cases are:

  - a pure context manager (only provides __context__)
  - a pure managed context (only provides __enter__/__exit__)
  - a managed context which can be its own context manager (provides all three)

In the standard library, decimal.Context and threading.Condition would be
examples of the first, decimal.ManagedContext would be an example of the
second, and contextlib.GeneratorContext, contextlib.closing, files and the
various threading module lock objects would be examples of the third.

The final thing that occurred to me is that if we do find a use case for
mixing and matching context managers and managed contexts, it would be easy
enough to add a function to contextlib to assist in doing so:

     class SimpleContextManager(object):
         def __init__(ctx):
             self.context = ctx
         def __context__(self):
             return self.context

     def contextmanager(obj):
         if hasattr(obj, "__context__"):
             return obj
         if hasattr(obj, "__enter__") and hasattr(obj, "__exit__"):
             return SimpleContextManager(obj)
         raise TypeError("Require a context manager or a managed context")

The ability to add that function if we eventually decide we need it means that
we don't have to worry about inadvertently ruling out use cases we simply
haven't thought of yet (which was one of my concerns).

Since I can supply reasonable answers to all of my earlier reservations, I now
believe we could drop this requirement and still end up with comprehensible
documentation.

Whether it's a good idea to do so. . . I'm not sure. I still quite like the
idea of having to describe only two kinds of object instead of three, but
making the protocols orthogonal has its merits, too.

Cheers,
Nick.