[Python-Dev] Visual studio 2005 express now free

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Apr 25 01:55:05 CEST 2006

Terry Reedy wrote:
> Since, as I remember, there was no license agreement for the download, just
> for the install (if/when I do it), I should think it legal to send the file
> to someone else.  But I don't really know, of course.

Going by the download page for 2005, it does not have any restrictions
on the page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/download/

so it seems plausible that vc2003 did not have such restrictions,
either. However, the bottom of the page has a link (Terms of Use)

http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx

which says

WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, COPYING OR REPRODUCTION OF THE SOFTWARE
TO ANY OTHER SERVER OR LOCATION FOR FURTHER REPRODUCTION OR
REDISTRIBUTION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED, UNLESS SUCH REPRODUCTION OR
REDISTRIBUTION IS EXPRESSLY PERMITTED BY THE LICENSE AGREEMENT
ACCOMPANYING SUCH SOFTWARE.

So I guess they don't want you to provide copies of that file.

Regards,
Martin