[Python-Dev] SoC proposal: "fix some old, old bugs in sourceforge"

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Apr 25 01:08:29 CEST 2006

"Alan McIntyre" <alan.mcintyre at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:444CFD14.70601 at gmail.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to participate in the Summer of Code as a student.  At the
> moment it looks like the Python tracker on SF has about 2100 open bugs
> and patches, going back to late 2000.

The latest weekly tracker summary says about 1300, + 200 RFEs.  Still too
many.

>  I'm assuming that a fair number
> of these are no longer be applicable, have been fixed/implemented
> already, etc., and somebody just needs to slog through the list and
> figure out what to do with them.

I suspect so too, and plan to at least recheck some that I have reviewed.

> My unglamorous proposal is to review bugs & patches (starting with the
> oldest) and resolve at least 200 of them.

Funny, and nice!, that you should propose this.  I thought of adding
something like this to the Python wiki as something I might mentor, but
hesitated because reviewing *is* not  glamourous, because Google wants
code-writing projects, and because I am not one to mentor C code writing.

> Is that too much?

To review and close things that don't need a fix or are obsolete, no.  To
write code and fix,  go with the response from someone who has done such.

The thing I worry about, besides you or whoever getting too bored after a
week, is that a batch of 50-100 nice new patches could then sit unreviewed
on the patch tracker along with those already there.

Terry Jan Reedy