[Python-Dev] SoC proposal: "fix some old, old bugs in sourceforge"

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Mon Apr 24 21:05:49 CEST 2006

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 12:30:12PM -0400, Alan McIntyre wrote:
> My unglamorous proposal is to review bugs & patches (starting with the
> oldest) and resolve at least 200 of them.  Is that too much?  Too few?
> I'll fix as many as possible during the SoC time frame, but I wanted to
> set a realistically achievable minimum for the proposal.  If anybody can
> offer helpful feedback on a good minimum number I'd appreciate it.

I'd suggest 75 or maybe 100 bugs or patches, not 200.

Let's assume you'll spend 60 days working on the project.  While some
items are trivial (documentation typos, small bugfixes), you'll
probably exhaust those pretty quickly.  If a bug has been sitting
around in the bug tracker for 3 years, it's probably because the bug
isn't trivial: it may break compatibility to fix it, or the fix
requires significant redesign of a component.

200 bugs is a little over 3 per day.  During bug days I've spent three
or four hours working on a single bug, which implies two bugs/day.  So
if you're working 8-hour days for those two months, you might be able
to process about 120 items.  Therefore, 75 seems a reasonable number,
a little more than a bug a day.

--amk