[Python-Dev] Visual studio 2005 express now free

Alex Martelli aleaxit at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 16:49:25 CEST 2006

On Apr 24, 2006, at 5:13 AM, John J Lee wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Paul Moore wrote:
>> On 4/24/06, Neil Hodgson <nyamatongwe at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Martin v. Löwis:

> [...]
>> No. Martin means that http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/
>> vctoolkit2003/
>> no longer points to a downloadable version of MSVC which includes the
>> optimizer, and generates VC 7.1 compatible binaries.
>>
>> This means that unless you've already downloaded it, or it's
>> acceptable for someone else to host it, there's once again no way to
>> build Python with free tools :-(
> [...]
>
> Actually, it's apparently still there, just at a different URL.
> Somebody posted the new URL on c.l.py a day or two back (Alex
> Martelli started the thread, IIRC).  I'm off to the dentist, no
> time to Google for it!

Yep, I was the one looking for that URL, and then at somebody else's
request reposted it and also tinyurled it (since it's a very long URL
it gives somebody problems).

For the Toolkit 2003:
http://tinyurl.com/gv8wr

Also, for the Net SDK 1.1 (the 2.0 one apparently now is lacking the
msvcrt.lib for x86...):
http://tinyurl.com/5flob

(original Url for the latter kindly supplied by Martin, btw).

Martin also suggested using mingw instead, on that same thread.

Alex