[Python-Dev] Tkinter lockups.

Thomas Wouters thomas at python.org
Mon Apr 24 11:11:27 CEST 2006

On 4/24/06, Jeff Epler <jepler at unpythonic.net> wrote:

> I just read the manpage for Tk_Init(3) (fc4 package tk-8.4.9-3) and it
> does not say that Tk_Init() may only be called once.  While this doesn't
> mean Python shouldn't work around it, I think the behavior should be
> considered a bug in Tk, not _tkinter.

FWIW, the Tk_Init manpage says "the Tk interpreter should not already be
loaded", and it then goes on to say that if Tk_Init fails to *initialize*
the interpreter, an error is returned. So it's unclear to me whether Tk_Init
really "loads the interpreter", and whether it unloads after an error occurs
(apparently not, I'd say ;)

http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.4/TkLib/Tk_Init.htm

However, on this system, I couldn't recreate the problem you reported
> with either the "using _tkinter directly" instructions, or using this
> "C" test program:
>
> #include <tcl.h>
> #include <tk.h>
>
> int main(void) {
>     Tcl_Interp *trp;
>     unsetenv("DISPLAY");
>     trp = Tcl_CreateInterp();
>     printf("%d\n", Tk_Init(trp));
>     printf("%d\n", Tk_Init(trp));
>     return 0;
> }

Yes, this C snippet locks up on my systems, just as the python snippet does.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org>

spread!