[Python-Dev] Proposed addition to threading module - released

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Apr 24 08:37:24 CEST 2006

Nick Coghlan wrote:
> Do we want to add a "released" context manager to the threading module for
> 2.5?

I don't think that should be added. I would consider it a dangerous
programming style: if the lock merely doesn't "need" to be held (i.e.
if it isn't necessary, but won't hurt), one should just keep holding
the lock. If it is essential to release the lock, because the code
would otherwise deadlock, the code should be dramatically revised
to avoid that situation, e.g. by redefining the granularity of the
lock, and moving the with statements accordingly.

Regards,
Martin