[Python-Dev] Reducing memory overhead for dictionaries by removing me_hash

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Apr 23 23:56:40 CEST 2006

Kirat Singh wrote:
> The reason I looked into this to begin with was that my code used up a
> bunch of memory which was traceable to lots of little objects with
> instance dicts, so it seemed that if instancedicts took less memory I
> wouldn't have to go and add __slots__ to a bunch of my classes, or
> rewrite things as tuples/lists, etc.

Ah. In that case, I would be curious if tuning PyDict_MINSIZE could
help. If you have many objects of the same type, am I right assuming
they all have the same number of dictionary keys? If so, what is the
dictionary size? Do they use ma_smalltable, or do they have an extra
ma_table?

Regards,
Martin