[Python-Dev] Visual studio 2005 express now free

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 20:07:21 CEST 2006

On 4/21/06, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> - Paul Moore has contributed a Python build procedure for the
>   free version of the 2003 compiler. This one is without IDE,
>   but still, it should allow people without a VS 2003 license
>   to work on Python itself; it should also be possible to develop
>   extensions with that compiler (although I haven't verified
>   that distutils would pick that up correctly).

It works fine. You need to set PATH, INCLUDE, and LIB appropriately,
and set MSSdk (to anything, but the SDK install location is what it's
meant to be) so that distutils assumes the environment is right and
doesn't check the registry.

I'll see if I can find some time to write a doc patch - it can go
alongside the "building using mingw" section.

Paul.