[Python-Dev] Win64 AMD64 (aka x64) binaries available64

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Fri Apr 21 19:01:17 CEST 2006

Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>>> Very strange. What is your compiler version (first line of cl /?)?
>
> I have looked into this. In the latest SDK (2003 SP1), Microsoft has
> changed the include structure; there are no separate amd64
> subdirectories anymore. Then, cl.exe was picking up the wrong
> stdarg.h (the one of VS 2003), which would not work for AMD64.
>
> I have corrected that in vsextcomp, but I will need to check a few
> more things before releasing it.

I've upgraded to vsextcomp0.8.

On XP (32-bit), I can compile python25.dll and python.exe for AMD64 now,
after adding bufferoverflowU.lib to the linker options.
And the exe even works on XP-64 ;-)

When trying to build on XP64, I get errors like these (if it helps, I can upload the complete buildlogs
somewhere):

------ Rebuild All started: Project: make_buildinfo, Configuration: Release Win32 ------

Deleting intermediate files and output files for project 'make_buildinfo', configuration 'Release|Win32'.
Compiling...
------ CL.EXE Wrapper for VSExtCompiler Plugin ------
Error : Could not create new temporary options response file------ CL.EXE Wrapper for VSExtCompiler Plugin ------
------ CL.EXE Wrapper for VSExtCompiler Plugin ------
(lots of these lines removed)
------ CL.EXE Wrapper for VSExtCompiler Plugin ------
Linking...
------ LINK.EXE Wrapper for VSExtCompiler Plugin ------
Error : Could not create new temporary options response file------ LINK.EXE Wrapper for VSExtCompiler Plugin ------
------ LINK.EXE Wrapper for VSExtCompiler Plugin ------
(lots of these lines removed)
------ LINK.EXE Wrapper for VSExtCompiler Plugin ------

Build log was saved at "file://c:\devel\trunk\PCbuild\x86-temp-release\make_buildinfo\BuildLog.htm"
make_buildinfo - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)

------ Rebuild All started: Project: make_versioninfo, Configuration: Release Win32 ------

Deleting intermediate files and output files for project 'make_versioninfo', configuration 'Release|Win32'.
Compiling...
------ CL.EXE Wrapper for VSExtCompiler Plugin ------
Error : Could not create new temporary options response file------ CL.EXE Wrapper for VSExtCompiler Plugin ------
------ CL.EXE Wrapper for VSExtCompiler Plugin ------
(lots of these lines removed)
------ CL.EXE Wrapper for VSExtCompiler Plugin ------
Linking...
------ LINK.EXE Wrapper for VSExtCompiler Plugin ------
Error : Could not create new temporary options response file------ LINK.EXE Wrapper for VSExtCompiler Plugin ------
------ LINK.EXE Wrapper for VSExtCompiler Plugin ------
(lots of these lines removed)
------ LINK.EXE Wrapper for VSExtCompiler Plugin ------
Performing Custom Build Step
'.\make_versioninfo.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Performing Custom Build Step"

Build log was saved at "file://c:\devel\trunk\PCbuild\x86-temp-release\make_versioninfo\BuildLog.htm"
make_versioninfo - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)