[Python-Dev] Google Summer of Code proposal: improvement of long int and adding new types/modules.

Mateusz Rukowicz mateusz.rukowicz at vp.pl
Fri Apr 21 09:33:29 CEST 2006

I wish to participate in Google Summer of Code as a python developer. I
have few ideas, what would be improved and added to python. Since these
changes and add-ons would be codded in C, and added to python-core
and/or as modules,I am not sure, if you are willing to agree with these
ideas.

First of all, I think, it would be good idea to speed up long int
implementation in python. Especially multiplying and converting
radix-2^k to radix-10^l. It might be done, using much faster algorithms
than already used, and transparently improve efficiency of multiplying
and printing/reading big integers.

Next thing I would add is multi precision floating point type to the
core and fraction type, which in some cases highly improves operations,
which would have to be done using floating point instead.
Of course, math module will need update to support multi precision
floating points, and with that, one could compute asin or any other
function provided with math with precision limited by memory and time.
It would be also good idea to add function which computes pi and exp
with unlimited precision.
And last thing - It would be nice to add some number-theory functions to
math module (or new one), like prime-tests, factorizations etc.

Every of above improvements would be coded in pure C, and without using
external libraries, so portability of python won't be cracked, and no
new dependencies will be added.

I am waiting for your responses about my ideas, which of these you think
are good, which poor etc. Main reason I am posting my question here is
that, I am not sure, how much are you willing to change the core of the
python.

At the end, let my apologize for my poor English, I am trying to do my best.

Best regards,
Mateusz Rukowicz.