[Python-Dev] setuptools in 2.5.

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Apr 21 01:33:18 CEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 23:53 +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> There's really nothing wrong with the standard distutils
> two step process:
>
> 1. download and unzip the source file
>
> 2. run "python setup.py install"

The only thing I'll add (other than put me in the "just make it work and
tell me what to do" camp ;) is that I really want a simple way to say
"do not install into the system Python, put everything over here and I
will fiddle with my environment to make it work".

I may be way out of date with the state of the art these days, but in
the past, I've had a difficult time making this work for Mailman.  For
example, at various times we've had to distribute our own email package
and Asian codecs packages.  The only way I've gotten things to work is
by specifying --install-lib --install-data and --install-purelib
switches, which was pretty difficult (IIRC) to figure out.

Again, maybe there's an easy way to do this with modern distutils, but I
just want to make sure this is a use case that's on the radar.

-Barry