[Python-Dev] magic in setuptools (Was: setuptools in the stdlib)

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Apr 21 00:32:01 CEST 2006

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> What I'm opposed to in making setuptools install things the distutils way
> by default is that there is no easy path to clean upgrade or installation
> in the absence of a system packaging tool like RPM or deb or
> what-have-you.  I am not opposed to doing the "classic" style of
> installation by default *forever*, but only until setuptools can handle
> uninstallation and upgrades in that format.  Right now, it's a lot easier
> to uninstall things if they are all in one directory.

If that's all it takes, have a look at the uninstall implementation
in mxSetup.py (e.g. from egenix-mx-base).

This will work with any half decent distutils setup.py file, since
it uses the original install process as basis for finding the
files to uninstall. (Not my idea: credits go to Thomas Heller.)

BTW, if there's interest, I can look into porting the stuff in
mxSetup.py into stock distutils. That'll give it uninstall,
some autoconf and support for building Unix C libs as part of
the process (plus a bunch of other things).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 21 2006)