[Python-Dev] setuptools in 2.5.

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Thu Apr 20 23:41:53 CEST 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> - they're currently discussing whether to use stricter version requirements
> for individual components, to increase the chance that people end up using
> a combination that someone else has actually tested.

I don't think setuptools version requirements are enough to ensure the
integrity of all pieces of a complex system will work together.
Figuring out a self-consistent set of packages to work together is
something that is rather independent of any particular package, and
Setuptools doesn't have a facility for that.  But it does provide the
tools to build that kind of facility, and egg-based installations
provide the sufficient metadata to report on what has been built.  So I
think it is a step in the right direction.  Integrating packages from a
wide variety of sources is hard.