[Python-Dev] setuptools in 2.5.

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu Apr 20 18:54:06 CEST 2006

    Anthony> Finally, I'd like to point out that I think some of the
    Anthony> hostility towards Phillip's work has been excessive. He's done
    Anthony> an amazing amount of work on this (look at the distutils-sig
    Anthony> archive for the last two years for more), and produced
    Anthony> something that's very very useful.

    Anthony> He deserves far more credit for this than he seems to have been
    Anthony> getting here.

I agree.  I'll go one step further and suggest that not only should
setuptools be included in the stdlib but that distutils should be
deprecated, at least as a user-visible package.  I've not looked at the
setuptools code, but I have tried at times to use the distutils code.  Those
were trying times.  I've also seen some of the rapid acceptance of
setuptools in the broader Python community.  Maybe they know something we
don't.

Thank you Phillip...

Skip