[Python-Dev] Raising objections (was: setuptools in the stdlib)

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Wed Apr 19 08:37:55 CEST 2006

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 16:22, Walter Dörwald wrote:
> If I'm not calling shared libraries from Python I can ignore
> ctypes. If I'm not doing XML, I can ignore elementtree. If I'm not
> doing SQL I can ignore pysqlite and if I'm not interested in
> profiling I can ignore cProfile. But setuptools will potentially
> affect anyone that uses third-party modules/packages.

Sure. It might mean people can automatically install something like
TurboGears and all it's dependencies, without stuffing their existing
required versions (thanks to eggs) and without having to fetch 16
different packages. Oh, the horror! <wink>

> And ctypes, elementtree and pysqlite are mature packages.
> setuptools isn't even finished yet.

Neither is distutils. setuptools at least is likely to be "finished",
whatever that means.

> Wouldn't I need at least have to change "from distutils.core import
> setup" to "from setuptools import setup"? Or to something like:

Nope, only if you want to use the new, nicer functionality. If you
want to stick with the status quo, you're quite welcome to.

Anthony