[Python-Dev] setuptools in the stdlib ( r45510 - python/trunk/Lib/pkgutil.py python/trunk/Lib/pydoc.py)

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Apr 19 08:38:29 CEST 2006

Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> I was surprised that MAL didn't comment *then*, actually, and mistakenly
> thought it meant that our last discussion on the distutils-sig (and my
> attempts to deal with the problems) had been successful.  Between that and
> MvL's mild response to the explicit discussion of supporting setuptools, I
> thought their votes had effectively moved from -1 to -0.  Off-list
> discussion with Fredrik suggested that he too had shifted from -1 to -0,

I'm +1 on adding stuff to distutils (and other install tools) to make it *easier*
for setuptools (and other install tools) to make a good job.

I'm -1 on adding tools to the core that changes the structure of an installed
Python system, without a full PEP process.  If nobody can point to (or produce)
a technical document that, in full detail, describes the mechanisms *used* by
setuptools, including what files it creates, what the files contain, how they are
used during import, how non-setuptools code can manipulate (or at least in-
spect) the data, etc, setuptools should *not* go into 2.5.

</F>