[Python-Dev] Raising objections (was: setuptools in the stdlib)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Apr 19 08:26:22 CEST 2006

Anthony Baxter wrote:

> I started refactoring some of the ugliness out of the internals of
> distutils last year, but was completely stymied by the demand that no
> existing setup.py scripts be broken.

Instead of trying to fix distutils, maybe it would be better
to start afresh with a new package and a new name, then
there wouldn't be any backwards-compatibility issues to
hold it back.

I'd like to see a different approach taken to the design
altogether, something more along the lines of Scons.
Maybe it could even be an extension of Scons.

--
Greg